Patricia McGargill, a family nurse practitioner at Portland Community Health Center, tends to a patient. An effort to extend health coverage to 60,000 Mainers failed in the House on ...
Eliot Cutler is calling on his likely opponents to support either a run-off election or ranked-choice voting in the 2014 election to ensure Maine's next governor earns at least 50 percent of the ...
firstname.lastname@example.org Staff Writer Authorities in Maine and Mississippi joined forces to investigate and apprehend a Jamaican man who allegedly bilked a Bath woman out of a large sum of ...
AUGUSTA, Maine (AP) - Maine lawmakers have advanced a proposal to ban law enforcement from using unmanned aerial drones for surveillance unless they have a search ...
PORTLAND, Maine -- Maine's blunt-spoken governor doesn't mince words when opponents dare to cross him but he's saved some of his harshest criticism for newspapers, once telling schoolchildren he isn't a fan of papers and another time saying that reading one is "like paying somebody to tell you lies." Now it's gone to an extreme, with Republican Gov. Paul ...
Winds: From the SSE at 2.0 MPH Gusting to 2.0 MPH
The advertising campaign for Alexander has assured us that Fortune favors the bold, and director Oliver Stone is clearly hoping that the Roman poet Virgils proclamation is as applicable to him as it is to the subject of his film. If ever there were a bold filmmaker, it is Stone, whos ... ...
AUGUSTA, Maine (AP) -- Maine lawmakers have failed in their first attempt to override a veto by Republican Gov. Paul LePage to expand health care coverage to 70,000 more Mainers, but will try ...
SACO, Maine - Kenneth Wilson, a physicist who earned a Nobel Prize for pioneering work that changed the way physicists think about phase transitions,died in Maine. He was ...
MaineCare coverage for certain drug addiction treatments to more than two years. The House gave final approval to the bill on Wednesday. It allows for the continuation of MaineCare coverage for methadone and Suboxone if a person is pregnant, has serious and persistent mental illness or lives with a young child. Suboxone and methadone treat addictions to heroin and similar drugs. Maine currently ...
BLAINE, Maine (AP) - Fire officials say a 72-year-old northern Maine man has died after being critically burned while cutting up an old heating oil tank with a welding ...
Two Democrats in the Maine Senate switched their votes to aid party leaders in passing a watered-down gun-control bill aimed at encouraging background checks before firearm ...
A Maine man who was told he had only months to live because of an aggressive Stage 4 pancreatic cancer is still alive more than four years later. And a jury has awarded him $200,000 for the doctor’s misdiagnosis. It turns out Wendell Strout suffers non-Hodgkins lymphoma, a more treatable form of cancer. He sued Central Maine Medical Center for damages, citing ';tremendous emotional ...
The advocacy group, which is calling for the federal government to invest more money into the upkeep of the nation's bridges and highways, compiled the report from data that lists the number of bridges deemed structurally deficient. The report states that 15 percent of the state's bridges meet that ...
Twenty-year-old Kyle Dube, of Orono, was indicted on murder and kidnapping charges in last month's asphyxiation death of Nichole Cable. He pleaded not guilty to those charges Wednesday morning. The Maine Attorney General's Office told WMTW News 8 that Dube's lawyer is asking for a psychological exam to determine if Dube is competent to stand ...
Governor LePage Blacklists Maine Newspapers After They Criticize His Administration’s Energy Policies
Following a critical series of articles in three Maine newspapers this week, Maine Gov. Paul LePage’s (R) office has cut off those papers’ access to administration officials. The same week the Portland Press Herald, the Kennebec Journal, and the Morning Sentinel published an in-depth analysis of the administration’s work to undermine environmental protections, a spokeswoman ...
A backdoor plan by Canada's Enbridge and the US-based ExxonMobil to establish an alternate tar sands pipeline has met fierce resistance in the small city of South Portland, Maine where the proposed export terminal would be built. In a proactive initiative to block the scheme, a local citizens group has collected nearly 4,000 signatures-roughly 4 times the amount necessary-in support of a ...
JONESBORO, Maine - Maine State Police say a driver has died after he lost control of his car and it struck a pole.Police said 48-year-old Daniel Snowdeal of Jonesboro was dead at the scene. He was the only person in the car.The accident happened at about 3 a.m. Wednesday on Route 1A in Jonesboro, near the Whitneyville town line.Police said the vehicle came to rest on its roof in a ditch.They ...
Delegates to the Democratic National Convention Will Propose a Platform Emphasizing Diplomacy, Not War PORTLAND, Maine - August 15 - Peace Action Maine, Pax Christi Maine, Military Families Speak Out/ Maine, the Peace and Justice Center of Eastern Maine, and other Maine based organizations are circulating a statewide petition that opposes preemptive military action, acts of war, a naval ...
email@example.com Staff Writer PORTLAND - The new Nordstrom Rack store is in South Portland, but its presence was evident in recent weeks on the streets of Portland. A mobile billboard operated by a marketing company based in Pennsylvania rolled repeatedly around the city to announce the arrival of the store. But billboards, including those on wheels, have been banned in Maine for 30 ...
STARKS, Maine (AP) -- A Maine grand jury has declined to bring charges in the case of a Starks man who was shot on his own property following a confrontation with a group of ...
- A Corinna man pleaded guilty Tuesday to sex offenses dating from more than a quarter-century ago. Glenn A. Graves, 57, was scheduled to go on trial Tuesday in Kennebec County Superior Court on three charges of gross sexual misconduct that occurred between Oct. 9, 1985, and April 1, 1987. The victims of those offenses, which occurred in Winthrop, were two girls under age 14. The case was ...
AUGUSTA, Maine (AP) -- Law enforcement authorities say a 2-year-old Farmingdale boy found floating face down in his family's pool last week appears to be ...
BANGOR, Maine (AP) -- A Maine man has been sentenced to three years in prison for fraudulently obtaining veterans' disability benefits from the federal ...
AUGUSTA, Maine (AP) - The state has released some information about a proposed health insurance plan being put together by Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield and MaineHealth after a hospital group sued to make it ...
During their five-day visit that began Monday, the chefs are getting a hands-on education about Maine’s signature seafood by going out on a lobster boat, touring processing plants and attending a lobster-cooking class and an industry ...
WASHINGTON -- Houston's Astrodome stadium, New York's old Pan Am Worldport Terminal at Kennedy Airport and Montana's one-room schoolhouses are joining a list of the nation's most endangered historic places.On Wednesday, the National Trust for Historic Preservation is releasing its listing of America's 11 Most Endangered Historic Places. It includes sites from Maine to ...
PORTLAND, Maine (AP) - The Abyssinian Meeting House is the nation’s third-oldest standing African-American meeting house, used for religious, social, educational and cultural events until its closing in ...
Jessica Meir, a 35-year-old scientist from Maine, is among eight people who were selected from a pool of more than 6,000 applicants to be trained as astronauts. Meir, who grew up in Caribou, is the youngest of five in a family of ...
HLFSCRN HOUSING MARKET TURNAROUND? MORE SIGNS OF RECOVERY FOR BUYERS, BUILDERS, AND SELLERS, AS HOME SALES HIT A MAJOR MILESTONE THIS MONTH, SHOWING A POSSIBLE ECONOMIC REBOUND FOR A ONCE STRUGGLING MARKET.. GOOD EVENING AND THANKS FOR JOINING US, I'M TRACY SABOL. THE COMMERCE DEPARTMENT SAYS BUILDERS BEGAN CONSTRUCTION ON MORE SINGLE-FAMILY HOMES AND APARTMENTS IN MAY. IN FACT.. HOUSING ...
By JOE LAWLOR Staff Writer The cost of free care provided by Maine hospitals to uninsured patients has more than doubled since 2007, and those expenses will continue to grow ...
– Maine lawmakers on Tuesday quietly and unanimously advanced a bill aimed at beefing up the state program designed to phase out toxic chemicals in children’s products, but final passage is still in question. The proposal, L.D. 1181, sponsored by Sen. Seth Goodall, D-Richmond, requires manufacturers of 49 chemicals on the so-called "high concern list" to report what ...
– A bill designed to tighten mining laws that took effect last year appears headed for defeat, with the House and Senate unable to reach consensus on the ...
Among the bills is one that would have required the state’s public charter schools to be run as nonprofit organizations. LePage said that the bill puts new constraints on charter schools, limiting students’ educational ...
, sponsored by Sen. Rebecca Millett, D-Cape Elizabeth, the Senate chairwoman of the Legislature’s Education Committee, would hold up action related to the existing grading system and wait until the 2014-2015 school year to implement a new one. It passed the ...
On May 20, Gronkowski had his fourth surgery on the left forearm that he broke on Nov. 18 while blocking for an extra point in a 59-24 win over the Indianapolis Colts. He broke it again in the Patriots’ first playoff game, a 41-28 win over the Houston Texans. Rosenhaus said the fourth surgery was expected to be the last on his ...
Eric McMaster, an independent practice dental hygienist, recently opened Healthy Smiles on Water Street in downtown Gardiner. A bill would allow a new category of dental hygienist in ...
- The Maine Sports Hall of Fame has revoked the induction of a former college basketball star following his conviction on a child pornography charge. Sixty-two-year-old Dana Wilson of Brewer was inducted into the hall in May 2012 for his basketball accomplishments at Bangor's Husson College, from which he graduated in 1974. Wilson averaged nearly 35 points a game his senior year, best ...
By JOAN LOWYAssociated Press WASHINGTON (AP) - Amtrak's president says long-distance trains and some short-haul routes would be jeopardized and service in the busy Northeast corridor might have to be slowed if federal subsidy cuts proposed by a House subcommittee are realized. Iowa Republican Rep. Tom Latham is chairman of the House Appropriations Committee's transportation ...
- The Maine House and Senate have passed a bill that would increase the registration fee for snowmobiles and then use that extra money to help maintain snowmobile ...
- A physics professor who earned a Nobel prize for pioneering work that changed the way physicists think about phase transitions has died in Maine at age 77. Kenneth Wilson was a member of the physics department at Cornell University in Ithaca, N.Y., when he won the Nobel Prize in 1982 for applying his research in quantum physics to phase transitions, creating a mathematical tool called the ...
Two men, a climber and a local guide, fell off a 25-foot cliff due to a broken rope. One landed on a woman. (Photo credit: LeslieAnn Dykes ...
AUGUSTA, Maine (AP) - The Maine Senate’s assistant Republican Leader who helped craft a Medicaid expansion compromise says he is hopeful they can get enough votes to override Republican Gov. Paul LePage’s ...
By Dave Sherwood BOWDOINHAM, Maine, June 18 | Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:25pm EDT BOWDOINHAM, Maine, June 18 (Reuters) - Democratic legislators in Maine scrambled on Tuesday to muster the votes needed to override Republican Governor Paul LePage's late-night veto of a bill to expand Medicaid coverage to an additional 60,000 people. LePage late on Monday blocked a compromise bill that would ...
Making the news
Our nuclear programmes are completely transparent. But we are ready to show greater transparency and make clear for the whole world that the steps of the Islamic Republic of Iran are completely within international frameworks. The sanctions are unfair, the Iranian people are suffering, and our (nuclear) activities are legal. These sanctions are illegal and only benefit Israel.
Iran's president-elect was speaking after his historic election victory.
Swiss-Grand Resort & Spa, Bondi Beach, Australia
Perfectly positioned alongside Sydney's World famous Bondi Beach, the Swiss-Grand is a great hotel, packed with uniqueness and extras. At ...Keep reading
Should tax havens be forced to lift their shroud of secrecy?
Maine MirrorMaine Mirror – News articles from around the state of Maine
Every minute of every day our news editors canvass the issues, and stories making the news to provide our readers with a broad and in-depth coverage of what's happening in the world.
Our first priority is the state. We specialise in Maine news. From Lewiston to Portland, we're on the lookout day and night to keep track of issues making the news. We also strive to keep abreast of national news.
Breaking stories out of the continental United States usually break first on the Maine Mirror. Neighbouring states and key cities too often feature on our news pages.
We also provide a whole lot of other content you'd expect from any newspaper including international sports coverage and local Maine weather forecasts.
We also provide readers with an opportunity to engage in newsmaking by voting on major stories in the news, and following how other readers are viewing the issues. Our news polls are regularly updated, and attract thousands of voters over each week they're conducted.
Our business writers too work hard to keep you abreast of what's happening in the markets, not only in the U.S. but across the globe. We work around the clock to post stories from major financial centers like Tokyo, Paris, London, and of course New York, where we have extensive coverage of the major indices, particularly the Dow Jones, Nasdaq, S&P and Russell 2000.
A man has been beaten to death by police officers in the United States.
The unarmed man was severely beaten with batons and fists following a call from a hospital, which had complained of a man being drunk near the premises.
Officers attended Kern Medical Center in Bakersfield, California, where David Sal Silva, the 33-year-old father of four young children, had allegedly been causing a disturbance.
A group of police officers fell upon Silva after he allegedly resisted arrest.
Witnesses said extra police waded in to beat him in in the face and upper body.
Silva later had trouble breathing and was wheeled into the hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
Witnesses who had filmed Silva and the police in a scuffle later had their mobile phones confiscated by some of the officers.
They said he had been begging for his life during the beating.
A lawyer for the family has asked that the mobile phones not be tampered with as the video evidence will be used in an investigation.
Meanwhile, President Obama has lauded the bravery and devotion of more than 40 police officers at a White House ceremony.
Speaking to the hand-picked group, he said: "We don't always get that opportunity to stand and applaud the men and women who keep us safe. ...
- Sri Lankans will target Indian bowling Jayasuriya
- Ozzy Osbourne and Sharonliving living together again
- Helen Mirren new face of Marksamp Spencer
- Kourtneys motherhood tips to Kim
- 4 shot fatalities reported at condo shooting
- Lundbeck and several drug firms fined for pact to delay generic drugs
- American Medical Association Obesity is a Disease
- US Cervical Cancer Vaccines Cut Rates of HPV Infections
- Letting other system doctors give allopathic drugs dangerous IMA
- Weekend lie-in can prevent diabetes
- 2.7 mn Jeeps to be recalled by Chrysler over concerns on fuel tanks
- Yahoo follows Facebook and Microsoft in publishing US govt sought snoop data
- General Motors recalls 231000 SUVs over fire risk
- Microsoft reverses position on Xbox One Internet game sharing
- Stork missing from Safari Park
- Giants great Jennings was class on and off the field
- GMs support visor mandate for new players
- Source Flyers to buy out Brieres contract
- Lawsuit alleged Hernandez shot man in face
- Titans Pollard Mission to kill goal is SB
- Community radio reporters acting as climate change communication agents in Central India
- Parenting and home environment can influence kids health
- Greenpeace says photos show Iceland has resumed whale hunts
- Letters Our waste is a precious resource not something to be sent abroad
- Country diary Middleton-in-Teesdale Co Durham On the trail of the double dumplings
- College study says students from Ireland indulge in drinking more than others
- Dalian Wanda Group to buy UK yacht maker and hotel property
- Spain urged to pursue further reforms to generate growth and jobs
- Study explains why appetizers matter more when youre dining out with friends
- Helen Mirren new face of Marksamp Spencer
- Twitter acquires Spindle and shows more interest in local discovery
- Facebook weaves new network fabric
- Senators Press FCC to Move On Sports Blackout Issue
- UPDATE 1-Micron profit beats estimates as chip prices climb
- Hosting service deletes all MegaUpload users data
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Maine Mirror headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Maine House Democrats fail to override LePage Medicaid veto
- Eliot Cutler calls for Maine election changes
- Jamaican man arrested in Maine-linked lottery scam
- Maine lawmakers seek to limit use of police drones
- Maine governor staff to stop talking to reporters for 3 newspapers accusing them of bias