Time Warner Cable Inc also put in bids, one of the people told Reuters. Hulu was put on the auction block this year for the second time after disagreement between ...
(Credit: Microsoft) Microsoft's "iPad vs. Windows" campaign now includes iPad vs. Surface RT. Is Microsoft picking the right fight? On the back ...
The U.S. International Trade Commission on Thursday said it won't review a final ruling that found Microsoft to be in the clear of infringing on patents held by Motorola Mobility, which Google acquired last year. The ruling ...
(Credit: Williams Sonoma) The kitchen countertop is valuable real estate. With available counter space always at a premium, gadgets and appliances that are contenders for acreage require something to help them stand out from the crowd. Sometimes it's a matter of versatility and other times it's convenience that determines what gets to stay and what has to go. And sometimes ...
(Credit: European Southern Observatory) Triple planetary conjunctions are relatively rare in the night sky, but astronomers are about to be in for a real treat. The three brightest planets in our solar system as seen from Earth -- Jupiter, Mercury, and Venus -- will be coming together in the sky, "dancing" around each other over the course of several nights, starting Friday, May ...
Winds: From the SSE at 2.0 MPH Gusting to 6.0 MPH
Franois Ozons much-talked-about Swimming Pool features one of those Huh? endings that people love to discuss in serious tones as they walk out of the theater and drive home, as if theyre deconstructing some great philosophical paradox. Its an ending that calls into question everything that came before, and it will make many want to go back for a repeat viewing to relive the films narrative ... ...
expects cashflow to turn positive this year as it spends less on acquiring new paid customers for its consumer review website, the company's co-founder said, fending off criticism of its business model by short-seller Citron Research.Chief Executive William Oesterle said Angie's List, which compiles reviews on everything from plumbers to pediatricians, said a recovery in U.S. consumer ...
NEW YORK (Reuters) - A federal judge expressed a tentative view that the U.S. Justice Department will be able to show evidence Apple Inc engaged in a conspiracy with publishers to increase e-books prices.U.S. District Judge Denise Cote, who is set to oversee a trial on June 3, gave her view during a pretrial hearing on Thursday. She stressed that the view was not final and that she had only so ...
(Credit: Jason Cipriani/CNET) Foursquare is now selling unfettered access to its real-time stream of check-ins through Gnip, a popular reseller of social-media data. The companies announced the partnership Thursday in separate blog posts that celebrate the possibilities for ...
(Credit: PRNewsFoto/Microsoft) For years we've heard about the ever-widening appeal of video games and game-playing devices. Women gamers, senior gamers, casual gamers, and even the kind of social/mobile gamers who would never refer to themselves with the dreaded G word. But, when it was time to reveal its first major gaming hardware of the post-iPhone era (the first-gen iPhone was ...
, but it may be the first to employ 6-second video medium Vine as part of the proceedings. Surgeons on Thursday implanted a brain pacemaker to counteract the effects of Parkinson's disease in a patient and sent out Twitter updates using both Instagram and Vine. The procedure has generated such memorable tweets as "Removing the skin and drilling through the skull for electrode ...
Making the news
Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead. I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.
The world's best known footballer was speaking after formally announcing his retirement.
The Pan Pacific Hotel, Vancouver, Canada
This spectacularly located waterfront hotel backs on to the CBD and the Gas Light district at Canada Place, adjoining the ...Keep reading
Do you take the threat of North Korea seriously?
Maine MirrorMaine Mirror – News articles from around the state of Maine
Every minute of every day our news editors canvass the issues, and stories making the news to provide our readers with a broad and in-depth coverage of what's happening in the world.
Our first priority is the state. We specialise in Maine news. From Lewiston to Portland, we're on the lookout day and night to keep track of issues making the news. We also strive to keep abreast of national news.
Breaking stories out of the continental United States usually break first on the Maine Mirror. Neighbouring states and key cities too often feature on our news pages.
We also provide a whole lot of other content you'd expect from any newspaper including international sports coverage and local Maine weather forecasts.
We also provide readers with an opportunity to engage in newsmaking by voting on major stories in the news, and following how other readers are viewing the issues. Our news polls are regularly updated, and attract thousands of voters over each week they're conducted.
Our business writers too work hard to keep you abreast of what's happening in the markets, not only in the U.S. but across the globe. We work around the clock to post stories from major financial centers like Tokyo, Paris, London, and of course New York, where we have extensive coverage of the major indices, particularly the Dow Jones, Nasdaq, S&P and Russell 2000.
A man has been beaten to death by police officers in the United States.
The unarmed man was severely beaten with batons and fists following a call from a hospital, which had complained of a man being drunk near the premises.
Officers attended Kern Medical Center in Bakersfield, California, where David Sal Silva, the 33-year-old father of four young children, had allegedly been causing a disturbance.
A group of police officers fell upon Silva after he allegedly resisted arrest.
Witnesses said extra police waded in to beat him in in the face and upper body.
Silva later had trouble breathing and was wheeled into the hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
Witnesses who had filmed Silva and the police in a scuffle later had their mobile phones confiscated by some of the officers.
They said he had been begging for his life during the beating.
A lawyer for the family has asked that the mobile phones not be tampered with as the video evidence will be used in an investigation.
Meanwhile, President Obama has lauded the bravery and devotion of more than 40 police officers at a White House ceremony.
Speaking to the hand-picked group, he said: "We don't always get that opportunity to stand and applaud the men and women who keep us safe. ...
- Russia to build new parliament compound
- Obesity in children linked to parents marital status
- Kids of married parents less likely to be obese
- IPL spot fixing Police enter Gurunaths residence in Chennai
- Homes with dogs have more types of bacteria
- Soaring temperatures can affect quality of pills Doctors
- DC comics win court case over Melbourne gyms Superman workout
- Liberace role meant so much after cancer battle says Michael Douglas
- Find how fit you are for your age
- Novel concept advances development of universal flu vaccine
- Royalty Pharma takeover bid fails to find Elan ecceptance
- Chidambaram says U.S. Federal Reserves statement misunderstood calls for calm
- GM recalls nearly 20000 new Cadillac SRX SUVs
- UCSD gets $6.4 million to hire stem cell researcher
- Art Laffers tax fix for California
- Chiefs McCluster tweaks hamstring in OTAs
- Jays Happ ready to start throwing outdoors
- Yanks Teixeira cant be happier with progress
- Mariners send slumping C Montero to minors
- Expert panel to study UCI-Armstrong collusion
- Bangladeshs Green Radio heralds new era of environment education
- NH Forest Officials Find Invasive Beetle In 5-Percent Of Concord Trees
- HSBC reviews logging policy as Bill Oddie film sparks petition
- Country diary Allendale Northumberland Hedgehogs have everything they need in this garden
- Arctic bacteria found living in Mars-like environment
- Spot-Fixing row Sports Minister says my head hangs in shame today
- ESPN lays offs some of its employees to control costsAmendedESPN EmployeeUpdate
- DC comics win court case over Melbourne gyms Superman workout
- ESPN layoffs hundreds of employees as TV rights fees rise Re-issue with correction
- SportAccord must be voice for sport claims Lapasset as finally unveils Presidential election manifesto
- Twitter beefs up security with two-step login
- UPDATE 2-Hulu video site auction attracts four bidders -sources
- UPDATE 1-ITC says Microsoft did not violate Google patent
- Chernin Guggenheim Digital put in bids for Hulu -sources
- Obama orders review of guidelines for probing journalists
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Maine Mirror headlines delivered to your inbox.
- AP others fight for details in Maine girls death
- Electricity Maine ads under microscope
- Maine Turnpike to keep volume discount for commuters
- UPDATE 1-Maine Medicaid expansion passes but governor sets veto
- Maine governor moves out of office over TV dispute