Displaced Lewiston fire victims get bedding, beds and furniture delivered to their new apartments Friday. Above, Ali Sheikh directs his family's move into a new apartment at 49 Knox St. in ...
Maine Rep. Gary Knight, R-Livermore Falls, is one of the bipartisan 'Gang of 11' trying to push through an ambitious tax overhaul in the Pine Tree ...
From left, Gorton’s executives Havey H. Bundy Jr. and Paul M. Jacobs with E. Robert Kinney during a fishing boat inspection off Gloucester in ...
– A bill designed to help expand access to dental care in Maine deeply divided a legislative committee Friday, with supporters saying it's time to help poor children in rural areas and opponents arguing that the bill is not the right solution. Sen. John Patrick, D-Rumford, who has served in the Legislature for more than 10 years, said the issue is one of the toughest he has dealt ...
D – St. Patrick Church will host its final Mass on Sunday afternoon, with its sale to the owner of the adjacent Westgate Shopping Center set to close this ...
From Paris With Love
From Paris With Love comes from the same team (director Pierre Morel and producer/cowriter Luc Besson) that gave us last years surprise January hit Taken (2009), and hopes are clearly high that it will replicate that movies success in the early weeks of the n ... ...
"Right now we're on a month-to-month because of the infractions," siad Deanna Thibeau, a bartender at Higher Grounds. Higher Grounds can't allow dancing. "It's a scary thing when people are regulating something that shouldn't be regulated," said Thibeau. Thibeau said they've had to tell patrons to stop dancing, some to stop moving, because it could ...
- A bill to provide more public funding for Maine Clean Election Act candidates inched closer to approval Friday, following a 7-5 vote by the Legislature's Veterans and Legal Affairs Committee. The bill, L.D. 1309, sponsored by Sen. Edward Youngblood, R-Brewer, would nearly triple the maximum amounts available to candidates running taxpayer-funded legislative and gubernatorial campaigns. ...
email@example.com Staff Writer When Archer Thomas was about 4 years old he pointed to a map inside a Maine Atlas and Gazetteer and said to his mother, "Look, here's the town of ...
The court document says Margarita Scott of Westbrook had planned to return to her husband after having an affair with Anthony Pratt Jr., who is charged with killing ...
- A New Hampshire man has been sentenced to more than 15 years in federal prison for bank robbery, interstate transportation of a stolen vehicle and interstate transportation of stolen ...
Making the news
He is the most evil, vile, demonic criminal. He is dead to me. There will be no visits, there will be no phone calls. He can never be Daddy again. I have no sympathy for the man.
Gregg was speaking about her father Ariel Castro who allegedly kidnapped, raped and held captive for a decade, three young women in Cleveland, Ohio.
Waldorf-Astoria Hotel New York
I clambered up the stairs with my luggage whilst two bell attendants chatted away. I entered the huge lobby of ...Keep reading
Former Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak, who is 84, is being retried in Cairo. Do you believe this is a good thing?
Maine MirrorMaine Mirror – News articles from around the state of Maine
Every minute of every day our news editors canvass the issues, and stories making the news to provide our readers with a broad and in-depth coverage of what's happening in the world.
Our first priority is the state. We specialise in Maine news. From Lewiston to Portland, we're on the lookout day and night to keep track of issues making the news. We also strive to keep abreast of national news.
Breaking stories out of the continental United States usually break first on the Maine Mirror. Neighbouring states and key cities too often feature on our news pages.
We also provide a whole lot of other content you'd expect from any newspaper including international sports coverage and local Maine weather forecasts.
We also provide readers with an opportunity to engage in newsmaking by voting on major stories in the news, and following how other readers are viewing the issues. Our news polls are regularly updated, and attract thousands of voters over each week they're conducted.
Our business writers too work hard to keep you abreast of what's happening in the markets, not only in the U.S. but across the globe. We work around the clock to post stories from major financial centers like Tokyo, Paris, London, and of course New York, where we have extensive coverage of the major indices, particularly the Dow Jones, Nasdaq, S&P and Russell 2000.
A man has been beaten to death by police officers in the United States.
The unarmed man was severely beaten with batons and fists following a call from a hospital, which had complained of a man being drunk near the premises.
Officers attended Kern Medical Center in Bakersfield, California, where David Sal Silva, the 33-year-old father of four young children, had allegedly been causing a disturbance.
A group of police officers fell upon Silva after he allegedly resisted arrest.
Witnesses said extra police waded in to beat him in in the face and upper body.
Silva later had trouble breathing and was wheeled into the hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
Witnesses who had filmed Silva and the police in a scuffle later had their mobile phones confiscated by some of the officers.
They said he had been begging for his life during the beating.
A lawyer for the family has asked that the mobile phones not be tampered with as the video evidence will be used in an investigation.
Meanwhile, President Obama has lauded the bravery and devotion of more than 40 police officers at a White House ceremony.
Speaking to the hand-picked group, he said: "We don't always get that opportunity to stand and applaud the men and women who keep us safe. ...
- How frog embryos could help fight disease
- Chinese may have practised agriculture before advent of rice cultivation 5000 yrs ago
- Japanese executive commits suicide in Gurgaon
- Social mobilisation key to polio eradication in India Bill Gates
- No one hurt in kitchen blaze
- My dads cancer diagnosis inspired my healthier diet says Gwyneth Paltrow
- At least 30 countries in Africa at risk of yellow fever WHO
- 6.4 million Indians suffer from cancer and bronchial diseases
- Depression doubles risk of stroke in middle-aged women
- Get fit in 7 mins with high-intensity interval training workouts
- Microsoft warns about rise in computer viruses worldwide
- Australian dollar drops below parity with US dollar mainly due to US positive gains
- Stocks surge higher on positive news about US economy
- IRS And 501 Damned If They Do Damned If They Dont
- Dirty Dozen The 12 Worst Mutual Funds
- Indian American Vivek Ranadive buys US basketball team
- Indian-headed group buys Sacramento Kings NBA team
- Nicklaus tribute to Venturi
- Ed Fountaine’s Stakes Spot Plays
- Richards’ fall to 4th line stunning justified
- US couple donates land to Argentine park
- Ask a grown-up who invented clothes
- Court rules hydro project can proceed without environmental assessment
- NASA says meteor impact on the moon glowed like a star
- Energy Dept. approves natural gas export catalyst
- Get fit in 7 mins with high-intensity interval training workouts
- Sports Man-U boss Moyes to adopt a youthful transfer policy at his new club
- On the road Mazda6 2.2D Saloon Sport Nav Auto
- I discovered I had colon cancer while I was pregnant
- I never wanted my parents to go into a care home – then I had to face reality
- JLo named chief creative officer of Latin TV network
- FEATURE-Amid frenzy over map apps new focus on 16th century world view
- DirecTV reportedly wants to buy Hulu again
- Yahoo to consider $1.1B price tag for Tumblr this Sunday -- report
- Golf-Hall of Famer Venturi dies aged 82
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Maine Mirror headlines delivered to your inbox.
- A place for Lewistons displaced
- Panel keeps ambitious Maine tax proposal alive
- Former General Mills CEO E. Robert Kinney dies at age 96
- Maine committee deeply split on dental care bill
- Catholic Church selling many Maine properties